Federal Cerebral Palsy Programs

Department of Developmental Services (DDS)

DDS disability grants are available to cerebral palsy patients who are also mentally challenged. The dollar amount of the grants typically ranges from $600 to $1,000 a year, with a yearly maximum of $5,000. The grant money can be used for home needs, such as equipping a van with a wheelchair ramp.

The DDS also runs several smaller projects to support families with kids suffering from cerebral palsy. These include the Family Support Grants Program (grants of up to $250 a month to help meet the extraordinary expenses a family incurs in caring for a child with a developmental disability other than mental retardation), Birth-to-Three Program (serves children up to age three) and the Individual and Family Supports Medicaid waiver program (covers family training, home and vehicle modifications, specialized equipment and supplies, transportation, respite care, and nutritional consultations for eligible families).



Medicare is a federal health care benefit program that under certain circumstances can provide medical assistance to those with qualifying disabilities.



Medicaid is a federally funded, state run program providing medical assistance to low-income individuals and families. Each state manages its own Medicaid program through determination of specific eligibility factors, standards and services. Eligibility requirements and restrictions, as well as the scope of Medicaid-funded services, vary from state to state. Generally, most programs help pay for doctor visits, dental work, vision care, immunizations, hospitalizations, special health care needs, screenings, treatment, and emergencies. Although income level is a primary qualification, other qualifying factors may include age, citizenship, family status, and the existence of certain other medical conditions. Services available for children with cerebral palsy may include Medicaid’s Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT) program, which ensure comprehensive coverage for children. EPSDT provides access to evaluations, required treatment, and medical care to eligible children with special health care needs.

Some popular programs, which run under Medicaid, include HUSKY A & B

This is a Medicaid managed care plan that provides extensive federally mandated benefits. For children with chronic disorders like cerebral palsy, support includes 100% payment for durable medical equipment; short-term physical, speech, and occupational therapy; and home health care (some benefits require prior authorization).



Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)

This program is a low-cost health insurance option for uninsured children whose working parents have a combined income too high to qualify for Medicaid, but too low to afford private insurance. By providing access to high quality healthcare and medical services, this combined federal and state program helps many children with special health care needs reach their full potential.


The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program

The U.S. Office of Family Assistance offers this program. The program provides cash assistance for basic needs to eligible families with dependent children. The funding provided may help pay for groceries, clothing, electricity, heating and cooling, necessary equipment, and certain medical necessities that Medicaid does not cover. Since each state oversees its own TANF initiative, the program’s name, eligibility requirements, and type of assistance varies state-by-state.


Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) services program

CSHCN is a federally and State funded Title V Maternal-Child Health Bureau program offered through Public Health Department. The Public Health Department uses federal Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant (Title V) funds to run this program.


Supplementary Security Income (SSI)

This is a large Federal benefit program providing cash to eligible low-income children and adults who are disabled (cerebral palsy children qualify automatically). The project is managed under the Social Security Administration.

Those who qualify for SSI also qualify for other types of help from local and state government-funded programs, like Medicaid or Medicare, weatherization programs, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and food stamps. Social Security representatives at local Social Security offices help determine eligibility for applicants.


The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

These federal government funded programs, delivered by the state governments, provide assistance for children with cerebral palsy, and or including deserving families.


The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

This program provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.


Traumatic Brain Injury Program(TBI)

This is a federally funded program, which helps State, and local agencies develop resources so that all individuals with TBI and their families will have accessible, available, acceptable, and appropriate services and supports.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>